Following my food filled Holiday season, I decided that I was in desperate need of a healthy eating reboot. As much as I love cheese and pastries, I also crave fresh fruits and veggies. However, the abundance of macaroons and brie I consumed during the course of December had my body begging for a good detox. I’ve had successful experiences with juicing before so I decided to give it another shot. After hearing great things about a Montreal-based company called Glow Cleanse, I reached out to them and decided on their three-day cleanse program. Associated with Crudessence, a tasty local health food restaurant group, Glow Cleanse is actually a program of smoothies instead of the traditional cold pressed juices. Packed with assorted fruits, veggies, and 14 kinds of super foods and nuts, the smoothies are filling and actually quite tasty. In all honestly, they tasted so good that I felt like I was cheating! Normally when cleansing, I end up missing solid food but with these smoothies I was totally fulfilled and ended up looking forward to the next smoothie not because I was hungry but because they were so yummy. To say that I had a positive experience with Glow Cleanse is an understatement – I’m honestly thrilled with my results. My skin looks great, my jeans fit more comfortably, and I’m back to making healthy food choices.
My Top (Totally Unscientific) Tips for Cleansing
1. I find that its best to ease into a full three-day program. For your first experience, try a one day cleanse, then a two-day, and finally a three-day cleanse.
2. I also find that shifting my eating habits before the cleanse starts is really helpful. Phase out sugars, dairy, caffeine, processed food and the like to ready your body for the total lack of these things. By eliminating these items gradually beforehand, your body wont go into shock or withdrawal when you start your cleanse.
3. Drinking green tea between my juices or smoothies has been really beneficial. If you do experience hunger, this will help curve your cravings. I also find it nice to have something warm to drink to help distract you from your lack of warm meals.
4. I always make sure to take it easy on the exercise. Walking or a gentle yoga class are perfect for you during a cleanse, and actually quite beneficial, but I step away from the treadmill or the elliptical for the duration of my cleanse.
5. Once I finish, I ease back into solid foods. Don’t just undo all of your good work by going right back to cheeseburgers and cookies… your tummy wont be to happy with you. Instead, start with leafy veggies, fruit, and lean proteins like chicken or fish before you reintroduce red meat and dairy.
Note: I am by no means a dietician or have any sort of nutritional background. These are just my own observations from my experiences cleansing. If you have any questions, make sure to consult your doctor or a nutritionist. However, if you have any questions regarding my experience with Glow Cleanse, feel free to shoot me an email!